With many homes and buildings in the area being decades old, it’s quite common to find knob and tube in Toronto. More specifically, if your home was built between 1900 and 1945, you likely have older wiring, which is no longer considered standard or secure.
What exactly is knob and tube wiring? It’s an older-style electrical system that uses porcelain knobs and tubes to insulate and secure electrical wiring. The knobs support individual wires that run along wooden beams, the ceramic tubes pass through the beams.
Is Knob and Tube Wiring in Old Toronto Houses Safe?
The number one question around outdated wiring is whether or not it’s safe. There are several concerns with knob and tube in Toronto that homeowners should be aware of.
A quick summary of issues includes:
- It’s an ungrounded system, which creates a greater risk for damage or injury.
- Since it is very old, it has likely deteriorated and cracked, which can lead to fire.
- The original switches and receptacles are not CSA-approved.
- Newer wiring has often been improperly connected to knob and tube wiring, resulting in dangerous conditions.
- Knob and tube wiring only exists in 15-amp ratings, which will not support most modern devices that require more power to function properly.
If you’ve discovered outdated wiring in your home, now is the time to complete a knob and tube replacement. Ensure your home is as safe and as efficient as possible by making the right decision to have your electrical upgraded by a licensed electrician.
Knob and Tube Rewiring in Toronto
At Langstaff & Sloan, knob and tube removal and rewiring has been our specialty since 1996. We’ll take full ownership of your project, which includes all patching required to repair holes made during the rewiring. We always aim to complete projects with efficiency and treat your residence as a home and not just a job site.
Knob and tube rewiring in Toronto is the best solution to correctly address the concerns associated with this outdated system. While other options may provide temporary solutions, we don’t recommend taking this approach. Rewiring your home properly, whether you find aluminum or knob and tube wiring in Toronto, should be thought of as an investment that adds substantial value to your home and provides a safer space for your family
Find “Knob Wiring” Services in Toronto
If you’re ready to begin the process of having your aluminum or knob and tube wiring in Toronto replaced, the best place to start is to contact a certified electrician to complete an inspection. At Langstaff & Sloan, our fully certified and experienced electricians can work with you to determine the best plan to update the electrical in your home.
Replacing a knob and tube wiring system can require the following:
- Upgrading to a minimum of 100-amp capacity, as required by most insurance companies.
- Installing proper grounding wires and three-pronged outlets.
- Replacing ungrounded switches with devices approved by the Ontario Electrical Safety Code.
- Replacing knob and tube with modern copper wiring to comply with all electrical codes and standards.
When you choose to work with Langstaff & Sloan, we’ll start the process by providing a written, detailed quote that itemizes all costs for your consideration. Our team will be ready to answer any questions you may have and can guide you through making the right choice for your home. Contact us to learn more about how we can modernize your home’s electrical wiring.