The electrical system that runs through your home has a big job to do. It supplies light and power to all levels of the home and can significantly contribute to the overall safety of a space. While many advances have been made in how to safely wire a home, knob and tube wiring is still commonly found in many houses in Etobicoke and across the GTA.
Knob and tube was primarily used across North America starting in the 1880s up until the 1950s. By today’s standards, this electrical system is considered to be obsolete, presenting a significant safety hazard.
What You Need to Know About Knob and Tube
If you have found knob and tube in your Etobicoke home, it’s time to call a licensed electrician. The antiquated nature of this type of electrical system and the fact that it usually sits too close to insulation mean that it’s not something that belongs in a safe home, let alone a fully modern one.
As a licensed and experienced knob and tube wiring company in Etobicoke, Langstaff & Sloan is sharing some key points you should know about this outdated system:
- There’s no ground wire to protect against electric shock.
- The insulation used is not rated for exposure to moisture, making it very dangerous when in bathrooms and kitchens.
- The components become brittle and can crack due to their advanced age.
- If it’s been modified, knob and tube wiring is often poorly spliced with modern wiring, resulting in increased fire risk.
- Homes with outdated wiring typically won’t have the capacity to meet the electrical needs of today’s modern families.
Choose the Best Knob and Tube Wiring Company in Etobicoke
If you find knob and tube in your Etobicoke home, you do have options. While it is possible to try and update only some of the outdated wiring in your home, we can only recommend a total replacement. This is the safest option and one that gives homeowners the peace of mind they’re looking for.
At Langstaff & Sloan, knob and tube wiring removal has been our specialty since 1996. You can count on our team to take care of everything, from permits to completing the work, patching drywall damage, as well as removing garbage and all debris related to the project.
Here’s what you can expect from our licensed and professional team:
- Trace all the knob and tube wiring in the home so that we fully understand the scope of the work right from the start.
- Provide a written, detailed estimate for your review.
- Replace all outdated wiring and ensure that the new wiring meets current codes and required regulations.
- Repair drywall damage created due to rewiring.
- Install new outlets and switches.
- Consistently communicate with you throughout the project.
- Treat your home with courtesy and respect.
We know that undertaking a large electrical project can feel overwhelming, but the team at Langstaff and Sloan is here to help. If you’re looking for an Etobicoke electrician you can trust, you’ve come to the right place. To have your home assessed or to find out more about working with Langstaff & Sloan, contact us.