full house electrical rewire

The Right Questions To Ask Your Insurance Company About Knob And Tube Wiring

The discovery of knob and tube wiring is never met with positivity. In addition to facing the expense to update the wiring or complete full house electrical rewire, you may also run into problems when it comes to homeowner’s insurance. Knob and tube wiring presents several safety concerns which is why it raises red flags when it comes to insurance policies. It also means you’ll absolutely need to contact an expert in electrical wiring services to see what the best steps will be to move forward.

electrical wiring services

In previous posts, we’ve talked about the need to upgrade knob and tube wiring in your home and how it will not only make your Toronto home safer but will also increase your home value. While most people are aware that a full house electrical rewire is most likely necessary due to old knob and tube in their home, here is a quick recap of why:

  • Ceramic knobs and tubes can crack.
  • This type of wiring often results in frayed wires.
  • The insulation used in knob and tube becomes brittle with time.
  • Improper and dangerous modifications have most likely been done over time.
  • This type of wiring overheats resulting in high fire risks.
  • Modern families typically exceed the electrical use that knob and tube can sustain.

Giving Insurance Companies The Details On Your Electrical Wiring

As mentioned, you know you’ll need electrical wiring services to update your home, but what does your insurance company want to know? The specific details of how your home is wired will help insurance companies understand what coverage they may or may not give you, insurance rates, as well details on what needs to be fixed before they will insure you.

Here are some helpful questions you can ask your insurance company as you navigate your way through knob and tube wiring.

  1. Does it matter if my whole house is wired with knob and tube or if some specific areas, like the kitchen and bathrooms, have been updated?
  2. Do you require a specific company to complete an electrician inspection before quoting on home insurance?
  3. Will you insure a home that has been partly rewired?
  4. Do you require homes to have a 100 amp service/ breaker panel?

While it’s true that you may be able to find an insurance company that will insure your home with knob and tube wiring, be prepared for very high premiums and a high deductible. You will also certainly come across insurance companies that will refuse to insure you with knob and tube wiring, as the risk is considered to be just too high.

Get Your Toronto Home Expertly Updated By Langstaff & Sloan

If you need to make repairs to your knob and tube wiring or are looking for full house electrical rewire, choose only experienced professionals for the job. At Langstaff & Sloan, we have 25 years of experience helping homeowners deal with knob and tube rewiring needs. In addition to our technical knowledge, we work hard to provide excellent service which means less disruption for our clients and getting the job completed quickly and efficiently.

If you need a Toronto electrical installation or repairs, look no further than Langstaff & Sloan. Our licensed electricians can inspect your knob and tube wiring and help you come up with a plan that will work for your needs. Contact us to learn more. We’d be happy to answer any questions you may have.