Knob and tube are not words that any homeowner wants to hear. However, if you’re in an older home with this type of outdated wiring or you’re about to purchase a home with wiring concerns, there are plenty of things you can do to ensure the replacement process goes smoothly.
You may wonder if you really need to remove unsafe wiring. We can assure you that the answer is yes. Knob and tube wiring not only increases the risk of an electrical fire, but it also can’t handle the demands of today’s electrical needs. Knob and tube is not grounded. It pre-dates temperature ratings. It is a free-air wiring system and as such should not be covered by insulation. The technology is older than radio.
Knob and Tube: Helping Your Replacement Go Smoothly
It can be overwhelming to think about how to tackle such a large project. However, there are enough knob and tube wiring concerns that getting the wires updated sooner rather than later really is the best option. We can help!
In order to ensure that everything goes smoothly and that you invest in the right solution to deal with the knob and tube in your home, consider the following tips:
- Find an electrical contractor that has plenty of knob and tube wiring
- Take the time to understand all your replacement options. Do you need full-house electrical to rewire, or is a partial rewire an option?
- Decide if you are making the investment all at once or if you will be undertaking the rewire room by room or floor by floor as you complete other renovations.
- Talk to your insurance company (or several insurance companies if you want to shop around) to find out more about what their requirements are and what pricing options they can provide depending on the wiring you are replacing.
- Complete a thorough plan. While the initial focus was likely your knob and tube wiring concerns, now that you’re getting new electrical, take the time to plan out what you need and want to make your home function as efficiently and as effectively as possible.
- Prepare for the work to be done. Remove everything off the walls. Push furniture to the middle of the room. If possible, leave your home for the duration of the work as it will be loud and dusty and you’ll be without electricity for long periods of time.
Langstaff & Sloan: Your Toronto Knob and Tube Replacement Experts
Langstaff & Sloan has been expertly navigating knob and tube replacements in Toronto and across the GTA since 1996. We’ll take ownership of your entire rewiring project, including patching holes made when completing the work. When you choose our team, you’ll receive a detailed written quote that outlines individual costs. We’ll go over every part of the process with you to ensure you’re making the best decision for your home. Ready to update your home? Give us a call at 647 492-8193 or contact us to find out more about how we can help